The Ranch History

Founded by the Engineer Carlos Pellegrini, father of the former president and artist of that time.

La figura is one of the antique ranches of the District of Cañuelas, Province of Buenos Aires, land of great men and events that form part of the history. It was founded at the beginning of the 19th Century by the Engineer Carlos Pellegrini, father of the former president and artist of that time.

Rosas policy was against his democratic ideals, and his French nationality held him in an uneasy position due to the blocking, so he decided to look for some peace and acquired a country establishment called La Figura, where he was exiled with his family, and where his son Carlos, born in 1846, spent his childhood. The house also operated as a cart stop for the long journeys to the South.
Considered as a genius for his time, he invented and carried out very important advances in agriculture, among which we can mention a revolutionary watering system, called the watering pail.

Soon after the Caseros battle in 1852 the family set up in Buenos Aires again. It was the former president's father the one who made the first main house built, which is still preserved, approximately in 1830.

His son Carlos (president of our country) continued leading the agricultural activities of the ranch.
Then it passed onto another distinguished man, Miguel Nemesio de Uribelarrea, who gave a great impulse to La Figura with the sheep exploitation, considering the enormous shearing sheds that were built, inspired in the railway architecture.

In 1880 Uribelarrea founded the town after his name where the ranch is located. In 1888 he donated the lands for the first agricultural school in Latin America, which opened in 1894.
Nowadays it is called the Aeronautic School Don Bosco. He also helped to trace the railway of the old train of Cañuelas in 1885, which passes near the main house, and made the town church built in honor to his wife in 1890.

After his death, the ranch was sold to Silvano Crotto, and it was him and his refined wife, Mrs. Valeria V. de Crotto, with an exquisite taste, the ones who made the new main house built by the architect Martín Noel (1888 - 1963), distinguished architect and politician of the time, graduated in 1909 from the Ecole Speciale Architecture in Paris. In 1924 Noel started the building of the new main house of “La Figura” giving the ranch a new modern style within the neocolonial period.

In the 20th Century the ranch passed onto the hands of the Madero family, the current owners, who continue preserving every detail as in the time of Crotto and Noel.

The Ranch

From the imposing main entrance of the house, accentuated with a large Spanish front, we access the central hall with carved furniture from Majorca, friezes of stones, chandeliers, Spanish lanterns and a great bargueño of the 17th century.

There are many reception rooms with important details, art ceilings, fireplaces, and artificial water fountains, a lot of Spanish majolica on all three floors of the building, which are joined by important staircases with landscapes from “Talavera de la Reina”.

We can find a music room, a library, a video room, a beautiful winter garden facing the marvelous park, with vitreaux windows, through which suggestive brownish and blue light enters, where you can enjoy a nice breakfast or a gourmet meal with candles. There are mysterious secret passages and halls which make a separate house that the guest doesn’t see. We spent several years trying to discover the castle mysteries.

Our bar is a magical and special place, with great Spanish ceramics, followed by a challenging dining room painted in a suggestive way with big door windows, facing the Andalusian yard to one side, where the water, by falling from fountains, makes sounds inviting to meditation and relax, and the water reservoir yard to the other side, built in Pellegrini times, with three-colored floors and colonial blacksmithing, surrounded by old trees and a great variety of plants and jasmines, which provide the atmosphere with a nice smell.

All this wonder is surrounded by a 50-hectare park, designed by the famous landscaper Charles Thays, where we can find lots of plants of different species, artificial lakes with colored fish, and an island where there are geese, ducks, swans and other species of the autochthonous fauna.

In the chapel, a compulsory element in all great ranches, we can find the Miracle Virgin. There is something special in that place, which is difficult to describe, something magnetic.

Framed by a rose garden, in the middle of a travertine marble Roman yard, we can find the swimming-pool, surrounded by fountains and cherub statutes.

The entire ranch has been recycled for touristic purposes.

Many people dream of having a shelter to be able to relax, a hideaway to get inspired and find themselves. In “La Figura” Ranch, this is accomplished and will last for ever in the minds of those who visit it.